** Due to the increasing severity of MY ILLNESS, it has become impossible for me to continue to post on a regular basis. Unfortunately, as much as I desperately long to, I am also unable to visit each of your blogs often or reciprocate all the loving, supportive comments many of you continue to leave - even though at times it may appear as though you've arrived at some long ago, forsaken blog! With that said, I really want you to know that I miss every single one of you and that I really am still here! I'm just too sick and too weak most days to be able to sit up long enough to create a brand new post...or even read one. However, I absolutely do receive AND read every new encouraging word you leave (and, often, the old ones, again and again!) and I cherish them now more than ever! I truly appreciate your love, support, and, most importantly, your precious time spent on your knees in prayer for my family and me. It ALL means the world to me and I am truly blessed to have friends like you!
~Hugs and Sister Love, Teresa

FYI: All comments come to my email, which I can easily read on my phone. I also enjoy Facebook on my phone because I can catch up on A LOT in a very short time there. Soooo, if you're on Facebook, come 'friend' me there! {{HUGS}} **

Monday, July 27, 2009

OUR RECENT LOSS
~KEANU~


As some of you may know, while I was in the hospital this last time, our sweet dog, Keanu, died. It was a very sudden and unexpected loss. It was especially hard to deal with since I was so very sick at the time AND it happened when I was not home to be with him.

Although he was already 13 years old, Keanu had been completely healthy and had seemed fine until he started to limp slightly and favor his front left paw. Even then, he was eating well, playful and overall still a happy little dog. Then, after a trip to the Vet - at which time they had only suspected arthritis and then went ahead and gave him his yearly immunizations - he started to go down hill really fast. He was dead within a week. We don’t know what happened for sure, but you can be sure we won’t be using Banfield for our pets in the future.

Keanu was a purebred Pomeranian and came into our lives in 1998, at the age of 2, from a family friend. I absolutely, positively did not want a dog, especially a house dog, at the time!! I fought hard against both my husband and my children, but I was outnumbered so I lost. Once he was here, guess who the silly dog liked best? You guessed it, me! Everywhere I went, he did, too. It drove me absolutely crazy. I did not like him and I did not want to look at him or be around him. He still continued to follow me. If I went to the kitchen, he followed me and sat right there and watched me. If I went to the bathroom and shut the door, he would act just like a two-year-old who sits outside the door and puts his hand under it while waiting on you to hurry up and come out. If I went somewhere he couldn’t get to, he would whine and ‘cry’ until I was back in his field of vision. He even went into mourning when I went on a week long mission trip in 2006. Literally. It was so crazy!

Needless to say, it wasn’t long until he won me over and I fell in love with him, too. He was my constant companion from that point on. I miss him badly and there is an empty place in my heart because he’s gone.

When I used to work at the doctor’s office, I always thought that people who got SO desperate and upset over their pets dying (and sometimes even called needing an excuse for a day(s) off work) were a bit off their rocker. Well, now I understand that grief so very much better. It is very hard!


Good Bye, Keanu.

We love you and we will always miss you!

10 comments:

shraddha said...

sorry to haer about your dog..


Please take time out to visit my blog today...its a welcoming blog post to my new co-blogger and a give away worth of 38$ for the readers

shraddha

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our sweet Abbey in February and it was tough. I completely understand.

He sure was a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Poor thing!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Sorry for the loss!

April said...

So sorry about losing your special friend. I can feel your love for him.

Mr. said...

Its funny how I still miss that goofy little dog...I guess it has more to do with the circumstance than the actual loss. He didn't deserve that kind of departure. I AM glad I got to hold him during those last few hours. And I'm glad YOU had his companionship through all our turmoils.

LY

Rachel Lundy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost such a beloved pet. That's hard.

Leslie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Teresa. It's never easy when we lose a family member. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( :(

Anonymous said...

What a great dog! Thanks for pointing me over here to read your dog story. My story happened about 7 years ago--I was using it to write about how children/people mourn. We plan on getting another one in about a year!

Linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails